The Hotchkiss Brain Institute
Healthy Brains for Better Lives
The HBI provides resources to support a strong and vibrant seminar series. Exposing our trainees and faculty to exceptional scientists on a regular basis provides an enriched academic environment. It also facilitates the creation of new research ideas, collaborations and trainee exchanges. The BSc Neuroscience program also runs a course based on the Friday seminar series to directly link trainee education to high-calibre neuroscience research.
The Friday Seminar Series hosts external (non-University of Calgary) and internal (University of Calgary) speakers. Speakers should be screened to fit the following criteria:
- Can deliver an excellent seminar at the advanced graduate student level.
- Seminar content must have a broad appeal to the majority of HBI members.
- The seminar be 45 minutes in duration, leaving a full 10 to 15 minutes for questions.
HBI members interested in hosting should contact contact Dr. Matt Hill (email@example.com) to put forward the name of a potential speaker that meet the criteria above.
Terms of Reference:
- HBI Education can offer up to $2,300 per approved speaker to give a seminar in our weekly series.
- The host must be a full member of the HBI.
- A speaker dinner should be restricted to the speaker + 2 or 3 faculty members only. Reimbursement for the evening meal will not exceed $95 per person (including tip).
- University policy on allowable alcohol consumption is $15 per person per day.
- An honorarium of $250 CDN and a will be provided for each external speaker. HBI Education alsprovides a gift to all speakers.
- All expenses must be submitted within eight weeks of the seminar.
Any exceptions to these terms of reference must be requested in writing, with justification, at least eight weeks in advance of the seminar to the Education Director (firstname.lastname@example.org). Unless otherwise approved, expenses over and above what is outlined in these terms of reference will be the responsibility of the host.
Legitimate Costs Include:
- Transportation: Economy class airline ticket, airport parking and taxi fares
- Accommodations: Reasonable hotel costs (e.g. Hotel Alma)
- Meals (see Terms of Reference)
This program is subject to the availability of funds.
Completed application forms should be submitted to:
Education Director, Hotchkiss Brain Institute
2103, Health Sciences Centre, University of Calgary
3330 Hospital Drive NW
Calgary, AB, T2N 4N1